This vegan lentil, rice and potato dish takes about an hour to prepare from start to finish, but a lot of that time is just simmering, so you can do other things once you have it on the stove.
This is a great side dish for a vegan Indian food feast, but we generally eat this as a one-dish meal for dinner, and then devour the leftovers for lunch the next day. I highly recommend adding cauliflower, peas and carrots to this recipe for an even tastier meal with higher nutritional value. When I make this just for myself, that is what I do...but when I'm cooking for me and the guy, I leave them out, since I haven't quite convinced him to love a wide variety of vegetables yet. I'm working on it, though!
Vegan Rice, Lentils & Potatoes Recipe
What You Need:
6 cups water
2 cups rice
2 cups red lentils
4 red potatoes
½ of an onion
2 garlic cloves
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons sea salt
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon cloves
What You Do:
- Soak rice and lentils in bowl for 15 to 30 minutes (to shorten cooking time).
- Wash, peel and chop potatoes.
- Chop onion, and mince garlic cloves.
- Heat olive oil in large pot over medium heat.
- Sauté garlic, onion and spices for about two minutes.
- Add potato, and continue to sauté for another five minutes.
- Drain rice and lentils. Rinse, add to cooking pot, and sauté for a few more minutes.
- Add water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover pot, and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes (until lentils and rice are cooked, and potatoes are tender).